Nigeria: CBN Mandates Every Microfinance Bank Branch to Get 64 New Customers Mon...

Print
 
Jul 2019
Nigeria, July, 03 2019 - The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has made it mandatory for every microfinance bank branch to acquire 64 new customers monthly.

This was contained in a circular issued to microfinance banks on the revised financial inclusion target.

Going by the BVN registration data, each microfinance bank branch is expected to have 774 new bank branches every year.

The directive was said to have been reached at a stakeholders forum organised for financial services providers in the six geo-political zones by the CBN.

According to the circular signed by Tokunbo Martins, CBN’s director of other financial institutions department, the instruction was necessary because all stakeholders have to increase efforts towards achieving the 80% financial inclusion target by 2020.

“Given the urgency of this task, it is important to cascade the target to your branches for their information and implementation,” the apex bank said.

“A monthly report/update on new customers on-boarded should be submitted to the Director, Other Financial Institutions Supervision Department.”

As at the end of 2018, the nation’s financial inclusion rate was 63.2%, leaving an inclusion gap of 36.8%.

The National Financial Inclusion Strategy was launched in October 2012, a period where the inclusion rate was 46.3% and revised in 2018.



Source : The Cable
 

Research Analysis Tools

The fund indexes, institution benchmarks and other market information displayed here are all Symbiotics designed analysis tools, created in-house by our analysts and experts. Symbiotics has one of the oldest track records in microfinance investment analysis dating back to the late 1990s; its indexes and benchmarks have been regularly used as markers by investors, asset managers, financial institutions and practitioners. These, as well as several other research products, are available through the Research Account. Click on the link below to find out more.

Learn More